More than 30 organizations participated in World Forestry Center’s recent Cultivating Talent: Workforce Strategies for the Forest and Natural Resources Sectors symposium October 25 in Cheatham Hall.
Sponsored by the Collins Foundation and the Oregon Forest Resources Institute, this one-day event focused on workforce solutions and featured four keynotes, five panel discussions, and a networking reception. Themes for the day were Employees of the Future and Employers of the Future and featured discussions on communication, training, certification, apprenticeships, recruiting, wages, benefits, retention, inclusion, equity, and diversity.
Erin Isselman of the Oregon Forest Resources Institute, and state economist Christian Kaylor kicked off the event with provocative keynote presentations on Oregon workforce challenges and opportunities, and effective communication.
Rick Zenn, World Forestry Center senior fellow, was moderator for the Employee Forum. This lively discussion featured young- to mid-career professionals Lisa Ball, Taylor Lucey, Matt Hergerberg, Kaola Swanson, Simon Babcock, and Doug Denning representing a variety of disciplines and organizations, and sharing their ideas and experience about the workplace. Jasmin Brown, a graduate student in forestry at Oregon State University introduced the training and certification panel.
World Forestry Center Board of Directors Chair Jennifer Allen welcomed the day’s final keynote speaker Terry Barker, new CEO of Society of American Foresters from Bethesda, Maryland.
For more information, please visit the Cultivating Talent website: www.forestrytalentpdx.com
Thank you to all of our moderators, speakers, and panelist:
- Simon Babcock, Science Teacher, Philomath High School
- Terry Baker, CEO, Society of American Foresters
- Lisa Ball, Logging Systems Specialist-Pacific Northwest Region, U.S. Forest Service
- Gwen Busby, Director-Economic Research, GreenWood Resources
- Jasmine Kiara Brown, Graduate Student, Oregon State University
- Mike Cloughesy, Director of Forestry, Oregon Forest Resources Institute
- Wallace Corwin, Corporate Manager of Product Integrity, JELD-WEN
- Doug Denning, Director, Oregon Youth Conservation Corps
- Rebecca Franklin, Program Director-Forestry Resources Technology, Central Oregon Community College
- Joseph Furia, Executive Director, World Forestry Center
- Lisa Gaines, Director, Institute for Natural Resources, Oregon State University
- Jake Gibbs, President and CEO, Starker Forests, Inc.
- Matt Hegerberg, President, Heron Timber
- Erin Isselmann, Executive Director, Oregon Forest Resources Institute
- Christian Kaylor, Workforce Economist, Oregon Employment Department
- Nicole Kent, Manager of Advising and Academic Relations, Oregon State University
- David Howell, Associate District Manager, Bureau of Land Management
- Taylor Lucey, Director of Manufacturing and Resources, Oregon Forest Industries Council
- Karen McFarland, Director of Human Resources, Mason, Bruce & Girard
- Mark Mitsui, President, Portland Community College
- Don Motanic, Technical Specialist, Intertribal Timber Council
- Todd Nell, Director, Oregon Workforce and Talent Development Board
- Kristina Payne, Executive Director, Lane Workforce Partnership
- Mac Prichard, Founder and Publisher, Mac’s List
- Dave Rumker, Managing Director and CIO, Campbell Global
- Eric Schooler, President and CEO, Collins
- Kelsey Scotch, Corporate Recruiting Manager, Madden Industrial Craftsmen
- Rex Storm, Forest Policy Manager, Associated Oregon Loggers
- Kaola Swanson, Oregon Program Director, Pacific Forest Trust
- Shandra Terry, Regional Public Involvement Coordinator-Public Affairs, U.S. Forest Service
- Leslie Weldon, Senior Executive-Work Environment and Performance Office, U.S. Forest Service
- Kellye Wise, VP of Human Resources and Labor Relations, Roseburg Forest Products