Join the adventure and take part in World Forestry Center’s unique professional development program.
Who Can Apply
Fellowship candidates should meet these minimum qualifications:
- Have at least a Bachelor’s degree in the field of forestry, natural resources, or other related degree (e.g. architects working with wood products) and three to five years of relevant work experience.
- Be proficient in English, both written and spoken. Must be able to comprehend, communicate, and present on a professional level in English using natural resources technical vocabulary.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be self-motivated, with experience working independently towards a clear research goal or output alongside colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Submit an initial project/research proposal with the following components:
- A clear research topic
(e.g. urban forest inventory, biomass supply-chain, carbon policy, forestry regulation, conservation finance…)
- Essential questions that the project/research will address
(e.g. how to collect data in an urban forest, how to quantify biomass production, how to work with key stakeholders, how to map decision-making processes, how to identify successful projects and funding…)
- Organizations and people proposed to meet and/or collaborate with in the Pacific Northwest to answer the project/research questions
- A plan to implement lessons learned
(e.g. host a seminar, write and/or publish a paper, start a new organization or method…)
- A statement on how your project findings fill have a positive impact on the sustainability of forestry in your country
- A clear research topic
Before you begin your application, please review the application process. To be considered for the program, all applicants must submit the Application Form, a current resume, and two letters of recommendation. All parts of the application must be completed, including the financial section. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
If you are unsure whether a project you have in mind would meet our criteria, please email Shadia Duery, International Fellowship Program Manager, at email@example.com with a short description of your intended project before submitting an application.
The 2020 Fellowship Program runs from April 6 – October 6, 2020.
Fees & Visa Requirements
The six-month Fellowship Program fee is $10,000 USD. A matching grant is available to cover 50% of the Fellowship program fee, so the cost to the applicant is $5,000 USD.
Both U.S. and foreign nationals may apply to the International Fellowship Program, but visa, insurance, and salary requirements may differ.