The World Forestry Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to connecting people to the importance of forests. Please check this space for job openings and other vacancies.
EVENT SECURITY STAFF
REPORTS TO: Facilities & Safety Director
The World Forestry Center (WFC), is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) located in Portland, Oregon’s beautiful Washington Park. Our organization is dedicated to connecting people with forests and creating champions of sustainable forestry.
WFC is very fortunate to have on its campus two large and two small revenue generating banquet/meeting rooms that are rented to companies, organizations, and individuals. As a nonprofit, the WFC relies on this rental revenue to meet its annual budget and help support its mission.
This position provides security and basic logistics support to events occurring on our Washington Park campus. Most shifts will be after normal business hours. It is primarily an evening position, and the normal shift will be from 7pm to midnight, with a few events potentially going a bit later. This position is part time and will average about 10-15 hours per week, with some parts of the year requiring more or less coverage.
- Provide excellent customer service and a secure environment for customers and staff
- Patrol grounds and buildings during and after events to check for irregularities, safety and security concerns, unauthorized persons, and unauthorized activities
- Secure and lock all structures after events
- Provide crowd control as necessary
- Monitor alcohol consumption in compliance with Oregon state laws and regulations regarding the serving of alcohol
- Respond quickly and decisively in stressful situations, including fires, medical emergencies, power outages and other emergencies
- Compose consistent and thorough end-of-shift reports
- Support customers with AV systems, having either a basic knowledge of systems or desire and ability to learn. Have basic skills at facilities troubleshooting (e.g. find, reset and monitor tripped breakers)
Requirements of the Job:
- Obtain and maintain current DPSST certification for unarmed security within 1 year of employment. (Training paid for by WFC).
- Obtain and maintain current first aid certification within 6 months of employment. (Training paid for by WFC).
- Obtain and maintain current OLCC alcohol service permit within 90 days of employment. (Training paid for by WFC).
- Possess clear and professional written and verbal communication skills
- Previous related experience preferred
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Excellent customer service & communication skills
- Ability to climb stairs and move up and down grassy slopes
- Lift and carry heavy objects safely with a hand truck or the help of another person if necessary
- Ability to work outside in varied weather conditions
- Embrace a flexible schedule that may include evenings on weekdays, weekends, holidays and special events
Most importantly, this job requires a positive attitude and a commitment to excellent customer service
You get to work for an amazing nonprofit organization that has been a Portland institution for more than 50 years. You will be eligible for a Reciprocal Employee Attractions Pass that grants you and a guest access to many of the area attractions at no charge while you are employed.
This position does not provide any medical, dental, or holiday benefits. The position pays $17.50 an hour.
All applications are kept strictly confidential. WFC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
Please send resume and cover letter by January 31 to:
No phone calls, please.